The GOP allowed Obama to box it in on immigration. Look at how little Obama actually did for Hispanics:
1. Obama is the top deporter in history at 400,000+ per year.  He stepped up deportation audits of American employers.
“The president is trying to have it both ways–appease the enforcement hard-liners while appealing to Hispanic voters,” said Craig Regelbrugge, co-chairman of the Agriculture Coalition for Immigration Reform, a group that lobbies for a loosening of restrictions on illegal immigrants. The audits “routinely hit good employers who … treat workers well, leaving crippled farms and shattered families in their wake.” 
2. The President made no effort on promised immigration reform during the first two years of his Presidency, even with a supermajority in each house of Congress.
3. In the Fast and Furious scandal, the Obama Administration illegally allowed guns into Mexico, resulting in the deaths of at least 150 Mexicans plus one US border agent. 
4. Hispanic unemployment (11.0% in June 2012) remains stubbornly high and above the white jobless rate. 
5. The much touted Obama recent policy change on deportation delays did what? It tells you, young undocumented person, you may stay in the US for another two years. Then you will be deported (see #1 above). In the meantime, your parents, your brother and your sister – all may be deported today (see #1). Good luck fending for yourself in the meantime. Obama offers no path to citizenship.   In other words, Obama did very little but most in the GOP offer even less (exceptions exist, see Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL). Hello, Governor Jan Brewer.
6. Obama picked fights with the Catholic Church on matters such as whether churches can choose to cover contraception in their health plans. Some 68% of American Hispanics are Catholic. 
President Obama took Hispanics for granted, giving the GOP an opening. But the Republicans failed to use their chance.
America’s dismal economy diminished the need for new workers. Recently, immigration from Mexico dropped to net zero as many recent comers have returned to Mexico for better opportunities.  Mexico now has higher GDP growth than the USA. The fact US Hispanic unemployment is higher than whites suggests Latinos are not ‘stealing’ jobs.
Jobs accepted by fresh immigrants tend to be work native-born Americans simply will not take, such as busing tables, mowing lawns in summer heat and working in dairy farms in remote corners of South Dakota. 
The GOP’s failure to move forward with serious immigration reform allowed President Obama to offer virtually nothing to Hispanics even as he looks set to win a strong plurality of Latino votes. Immigration is one area where what’s best for the US economy happens to be what’s in the best tradition of America (openness to people who, after all, are eager to move here). The utter lack of progress on immigration constitutes a political failure of Obama, the Democrats and the GOP, too.
 http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm, accessed on 7/6/12.
Mi Tierra picture by author. Ellis Island, Chinese-American food and famous immigrant picture (Sergey Brin, founder of Google) from Wikipedia Commons.