- Thank you for visiting!
- I long shied away from starting a blog. There are SO many blogs; what could I add?
My perspective on economics and public policy might be unique:
- I am an avid reader of history who closely follows current events in the serious press, having a formal education in Economics, Finance, Accounting and History. My Bachelors is from the University of Illinois and my Masters is from the University of Chicago.
- I am a Certified Public Accountant, which seems to put me ahead of most journalists who write about taxation.
- I have worked for twenty years in the private sector, where I have observed practice vs. collegiate theory.
- A college internship in the Domestic Policy Studies department of the think tank The Heritage Foundation showed me something of how Washington, DC works.
- I am the father of an autistic son. This challenge has made me older, perhaps even wiser.
- I aim to be free of partisan spin. It probably is not worth your time to read another “Republican” or “Democrat” blog.
- My views may be defined as pro-capitalism, libertarian and individualistic, yet realistic about human nature. This means I am sometimes “with” the Republicans though it also means sometimes I am not.
- While I support free enterprise and individual rights, we most certainly do need government to keep the peace, enforce contracts, defend the country, provide certain common goods like roads and base research in the sciences, etc. Most all of us agree those who are unable to help themselves – such as children or the disabled – should be helped, be it by government or private charity or some combination of the two. When the government extends benefits and guarantees (e.g. bank deposit insurance or student loans), it is imperative such benefits be smartly regulated for the good of us taxpayers who are ultimately on the hook for the guarantees. A basic economic truism is “free” goods become over-consumed so let us not make “free” things be too easy to obtain.
- I intend to offer views that are original. I will cite sources. I aim to provide some original research as well.
- I am not compensated by anyone for my views expressed here or anywhere else. I am still waiting for my first “Koch money”, LOL.
- The views expressed on this Website/blog are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the view of my employer.
- Lastly, I aim to discuss issues as free of personal attacks as possible. I happen to have many friends who have political views very different from my own. Even those we disagree with are human, too.